The ruins of Linlithgow Palace are situated in the town of Linlithgow, not far from Edinburgh. The palace was one of the principal residences of the monarchs of Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries. Although maintained after Scotland's monarchs left for England in 1603, the palace was little used, and was burned out in 1746. It was the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots. It is now a visitor attraction in the care of Historic Scotland.
There is a small charge to enter Linlithgow Palace, entry is free to Historic Scotland members. Cafe and toilet facilities are nearby at the Burgh Halls which has an attractive outdoor area for having lunch or a snack in the patio and garden in good weather.
Learn more about Linlithgow Palace on the Historic Scotland website.